Tuesday, April 29, 2008

I Get On My Bike...

...ride through the world, through the green lights.
But when I think of all your advice, I narrow my eyes."
-They Might Be Giants

I hope you'll begrudge me a bit of artistic licence in quoting TMBG here, as its not completely on topic, but anyways... Today, I'm ranting about the relatively recent trend of sit-down bicycling.

More formally, they're known as "recumbent bicycles." Less formally, they're known as idiot machines. OK, I simply don't care about the ergonomic benefits of this technology, or any calorie-burning advantages it might add to your exercise regimen. It just looks frigging stupid. As today's framing graphic (above) illustrates, it's like saddling your office chair to a set of wheels and claiming it to be either a mode of transportation or a form of exercise.

Now, as is my trend, we must note acceptable caveats to the object of criticism. One is the hand-pedaling version of this bike for people who have physical conditions that prevent the use of conventional bikes. Also is the bike that powers an ice cream cart or other rolling concession stand. Yeah, it looks stupid, but the convenience factor of these rolling Andersons' outweighs.

P.S. the alternative quote I was considering to introduce this post was Arlo Guthrie's fabulous "The Motorcycle Song (The Significance of the Pickle)." Please, please check it out if you haven't before, as well as the even more grand "Alice's Restaurant Massacre."

No comments: